Total Pageviews

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Return to Os-walt?

We got some news this week that the Astros may be in on Roy Oswalt.  My first thought was that I may need to bring my Oswalt jersey out of retirement for a few months.  Why would Roy be interested in a return to Houston?

Perhaps he wants the wins record as he sits just one win behind Joe Niekro.  Maybe he is just looking for a nice comfortable place to rebuild his value.  Maybe he really didn't want to leave Houston in the first place.

How will fans feel?

It didn't end well for Roy in Houston the first time around and many fans will hold that against him.  I think that we as fans need to remember that these guys play baseball professionally.  It is their job.

Imagine working a dead end job with an owner that seems disinterested at best.  That must have been how Roy felt.

I think fans in general will get over it.  I can't imagine that the majority of Astros fans would rise in disgust at the return of the Wizard.

What's in it for me?

The number one reason that I would like to see Roy back is that he is one of my favorites to ever wear the Astros uniform.  Who can forget his performance in game six of the 2005 NLCS?  He was masterful. 

I know that he isn't the same pitcher, and a lot has happened since then, but I would like to see one face on this team that reminds me of the good old days.

I am a pitching guy.  My favorite players throughout my baseball fan experience have mostly been pitchers.  I worshipped Mike Scott, Nolan Ryan, as well as many non-Astros pitchers such as Maddux and Eckersley.  Roy is a continuation of my infatuation with pitching.

What's in it for the Astros?

The Astros gain an experienced pitcher on a one year deal that is looking to rebuild his value.  If he gets off to a good start and pitches like the Roy of the past, he could be flipped for prospects again.  The trade might not involve the Phillies for a change.

Why sign veterans when a team is in rebuilding mode?  Veterans allow the Major League club to function while bringing along the kids in the minors.  Roy would allow the Astros to start Lyles and/or Happ in the minors.  They could find their groove and come up midseason after Oswalt is moved.

Zach Duke provides this same sort of opportunity.

The move will also appeal to the casual fan.  They will see that a player that they recognize not named Carlos Lee is returning to the franchise.  This sort of move gives the Crane organization street cred with the casual fan.

I place the odds of an Oswalt return at 90 to 1.  I just don't think the money makes sense.  He is asking for upwards of ten million for one year, and that is not something that the Astros should do.  If they can land him for five million, then I say that they should jump all over it.

No comments: