Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Team By Any Other Name

I have had some time to reflect on some of the changes that Mr. Crane has put into place.  I have a lot more positive than negative feelings, so lets sort this thing out.

I would like to see a change in the uniform, but I am not in favor of a return to the rainbow jerseys. The rainbows represent a singular era, and they belong in the 1980s.  I do want a return to the orange and navy color scheme.

I wouldn't be opposed to a new design using the same colors, but it would not be my first choice.  I would like to see a redesign of the original Astros uniforms.  We need something that can be consistent.  What do the Tigers, Red Sox, Cardinals, Yankees, Mets, Cubs, etc have in common?  They haven't had major changes to their uniform.

We have not only had changes, but we have completely changed our color scheme twice.  I say a redesign of the original Astros uniform gives us brand recognition.

As for the hat, I think that a return to the star and the H is a given.  That is Astros baseball, and I am not sure why it ever went away.  The symbol is synonymous with Houston at least it should be.

Bringing food into the ballpark is a big win for me.   I live in Dallas and attend several games at in Arlington every year, and I am allowed to bring in food.  It is really one of the things that was a pleasant suprise upon attending my first games out there.

I have a family of four, and I don't have the kind of job that pays a huge amount of money.  We sit high, park cheap, and bring a picnic to the park.  It really is a great thing.  The people with the disposable income to spend still buy food.  The concession lines are still packed, and Jim Crane knows this.

I have no comment on ticket prices, because I only come down for one or two games a year.  Most of my Astros watching happens when they play the Rangers or on TV.

The name change idea is one that I am completely opposed to.  I was angry after the move to the AL was made official, but not mad enough to jump ship.  If the team I grew up rooting for essentially dissappears, I don't know what I would do.  It would be tough.  I do belive that I will never face this situation, because Mr. Crane has to understand the consequences to rebranding.

I am at a stage with this team where I am pulling for this team solely for the names on the front.  I haven't built an attachment to any of the players that are currently on the roster.  I was, and remain, a big Pence fan.  Changing the name on the front in a time such as this would test the bounds of my loyalty.

Like I said earlier, I don't think Mr. Crane will go forward with a name change, but I do see uniform changes coming.  All I know is that I am excited about the direction that the club is going.

No comments: